|You either love'm or not.|
Everyone back home in Canada probably has a horror story that involves a visit to some little diner or coffee shop that includes the dreaded Bran Muffin. The hockey puck , the chalk cough muffin, chewing on sawdust as they have been referred too.
I have always loved a good moist bran muffin. The texture, the sweetness from the raisins and the real wholesomeness that I get when stuffing my face with a dozen or so when freshly baked.
(For my Swedish readers bran is (Vete kli) available in all large grocery stores.)
|Miss G. May this help keep you "Regular" hahaha:)|
For those who also support your local organic markets. This muffin can be almost 100% made from organic material. I used all organic ingredients accept for the corn oil. baking powder and baking soda.Great to know that it is becoming more accessible in our markets!
Toasted bran with pureed sultana's and golden raisins
Adapted from Pastries from La Brea Bakery by Nancy Silverton
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C 350 degrees F
Makes 12 muffins
2 cups (125)g wheat bran
1 cup,plus ½ cup (190g total) sultana's
1 cup plus ½ cup (370ml total) water
½ cup buttermilk or plain low fat not "light" yogurt .( I used filmjölk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmj%C3%B6lk read all about it in English)
1 teaspoon of grated orange peel ( I used blood orange)
½ cup (105g) packed light brown muscovado sugar
½ cup (125ml) corn oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
½ cup (65g) white flour
1/4 cup (35g) whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup (65g) golden raisins
|Mounded slightly to help give lift when baking|
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners
- Scatter the wheat bran on a baking sheet with sides and toast in your preheated oven for six to eight minutes stirring the bran a few times so it can cook evenly.Let cool
- While the bran is toasting, heat 1 cup of sultana's with ½ cup of water and simmer for ten minutes or until the water is absorbed.Puree the sultana's in a food processor hand blender until smooth.
- In a large bowl,mix together the toasted cooled bran, buttermilk or yogurt,1 cup water, then mix in the sultana puree, orange zest and light brown mucovado sugar.
- Stir in the corn oil, egg and egg white
- Mix together the flours, baking soda and salt and sift directly into the wet ingredients. Stir until the ingredients are just combined( we want to retain as much air as possible in these muffins, so be careful to not over stir) mix in the whole sultana's and golden raisins. Just a couple of stirs....
- Spoon the batter into your lined muffin tins, make sure the batter is mounded slightly in each one.muffin tins can vary in size, if your using a bigger muffin tin then make fewer muffins.
These beauties are super moist and full of flavor. Great texture and a lovely way to start your day.