Friday, August 19, 2011

Hummus in the afternoon with Kalamatta olives and olive oil


Mezze anyone`


Growing up in Calgary in the early nineties had it's advantages. It was still a relatively small city of 700 000  it was safe
and my groups of friends could walk the streets at night with out fear. Singing the latest songs at the top of our lungs, laughing about our life and wondering how we all would grow up. Some of us moved away like myself to find greener pastures. Some of us stayed planted in the city that they love. We all were so different from one another. The punk, the girl next door( who was really a wild cat) the head banger umm.. me... The dancer, the one who ALWAYS had the skater   high school sweetheart  boyfriend...Etc, but one thing that always made us similar was the love to eat.

Calgary, is a city that you can fall in love with food. The cultural diversity in food availably is mind boggling.Whatever  you had a craving for we have it. From sushi, to fondue Calgary is a foodies delight, and we took advantage of  this pretty much everyday.We would frequent almost daily  Cedars Lebanese deli on 3rd st. We would go there just for the lush hummus and falafel no matter what time of the day. The hummus was smooth and creamy, with a slight bitterness from the
lemon and the fluffiness.

 It is nice to have my memories of past friendships and good meals intertwined.Two  of my favorite things in life. Good people and good food. I hope you will agree with me that not all hummus is created equally, nor are all the possible ways of making it, but I love this recipe and I hope you will too. 

Ingredients:
makes enough for at least 4

  • 2 -14ounce cans of organic chickpeas drained
  • 2-4 cloves of garlic pealed
  • 3 tablespoons of organic tahini (sesame paste)
  • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • juice of two lemons
  • 1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • water as needed for processing
½ teaspoon baking soda this is where the fluffiness comes from aha moment for me...:)

Method:

Process chickpeas, garlic, thaini, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and the zest in your food processor or hand help mixer. Slowly drizzle in the water by the spoonful until the mixture is smooth and and the hummus is to the consistency of a thick, but smooth dip. Add as much salt and pepper to taste, or more heat if you like. Stir or blitz the baking soda for a couple seconds. Allow the hummus to sit for several minutes about 20 or so. Remove from your processor and either serve with your favorite bread such as pita or a combination of raw vegetables. Carrots, radish, cucumbers just to name a few. Add to your Mezze inspired meal, or just as a comfort meal between you and the moment.  Add a handful of your favorite black olives a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of chopped parsley. 

This can be made several days ahead. It can get spicier and flavorful after 24 hours. I  serve this with a selection of fresh vegetables and breads from my local middle eastern bakery. For example, pita, flat bread or even a spread on hard  toast bread. It was nice to sit and ponder the memories of my youth and I am incredibly  lucky to have grown up in such a place that has such diverse people and food. It really has shaped my taste buds, my willingness to try new things and to miss my beloved Canada more than I already do. To my dear friends ,I miss you so very much. Stacey, Jenn, and everyone else. I love ya! see you soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment