Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Root toot'n good soup

Wash away those winter blues...
I am an anxious person. Always have been, probably always will be. I cook when I am stressed and I cook when I am happy, so in a way it's my therapy. It's winter here in western Sweden, and of course that means cooking in season. Root vegetables are so readily available this time of year. The recipes that you could use are endless. Beets, turnips, parsnips,celery root,potatoes,sweet potatoes, leeks just to name a few....
I made a wonderful scalloped dish using all of the fore mentioned veggies the other day, and had a lot sliced veggies to use up. What could possibly be anything more soothing then a big pot of creamy soup to warm up those blues.
carrot,turnip,parsnips slices

Root tooten soup..

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 small carrots
1/2 small head of turnip
2 parsnips
2 large shallots chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes
4 medium king Edward, etc.potatoes sliced, diced, chopped or cubed.
2 tablespoons of flour or any other thickening agent you desire
1/2 cup white wine

Add 1-2 vegetable cubes,( bouillon as you know I make my own, so I added about 3-4 tablespoons) as it was a very big pot of cooking veggies!
Fill up your pot with cold water and season with a little salt and pepper to get the ball rolling. DO NOT DRAIN THE COOKING LIQUID!!
When you can pierce the veggies to the point of tenderness either take your emulsifier or ladle into your Cuisinart or blender until a nice puree evolves.

check these babies out. Elephant shallots amazing!
Mean while melt your butter and olive oil on medium high heat.Chop up those shallots and in another bigger pot  slowly fry up your shallots until transparent but not browned.  I like to add splash of white wine here, but you do not have to and if you do let it cook down but not to much as you need some moisture to make your roux with the flour. Add flour into your shallots and wine/no wine and whisk in the puree until you get a nice thick but not to thick soup. Season to taste with more salt and pepper or some chili flakes. Use your imagination that's the best part. Serve with homemade garlic, parmesan croutons. I just love the sizzle they make when they hit the soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment