Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Modern classics melt-and-mix chocolate coconut cake for Jenny

Chocolate whipped cream with frozen raspberries need I say more?
Thanks in part to Donna Hay, Modern Classics Book 2
Where did I find the time to work a full day and come home unload the dishwasher, hang a load of laundry, bake a cake, make a full coarse dinner and dishes and watch the OSCARS and still get myself to bed at 1 am??  It is because when you have great inspiration, you can bake just about anything. I swear to you this cake is a great comfort food, with an even better lasting impression. It is a one bowl wonder and it literally takes any baker 10 minutes to whip up and 35-40 minutes to bake. Can we say really, that easy. Yes in deed. This one is for Jenny, AK little sister and a foodie by heart. Enjoy.P.S Jenny when can I come and cook in your kitchen?? Krams.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). 
Directions: made easy
Place 250g (8 oz) melted butter, 3/4 cup sifted cocoa powder, 1 1/3 cups of sifted caster sugar(superfine) ie:  make your own superfine caster sugar just add it to your mix master and pulse for a few seconds. 3 eggs, 1 1/2 cups desiccated coconut(everyday baking coconut) 1 1/2 cups plain (all purpose) flour,1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 3/4 cup (6 fl oz) milk in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour into a greased 24cm (91/2 in) round cake tin( I used a spring form pan) lined with non stick baking paper and bake for 50 minutes. This where I think the recipe needs to be changed. I baked it for 40 minutes and tested it and I think it was a little over baked for my taste. I wanted a more gooey cake, so if you want a cake with a little more gooey parts then bake it for just 30-35 minutes, but watch it!! You can dust it with cocoa and serve warm or cold with thick double cream. I used homemade chocolate whipped cream!  

No comments:

Post a Comment