Saturday, August 6, 2011

DULCE DE LECHE - a la confiture de lait

Sweet and condensed milk available most stores or your local Asian Market



By David Lebovitz  via The Perfect scoop






Mmmm...Sweet tooth? Looking for a little love from inside a can? You know who you are, and this little can of goodness is going to make everything bad feel so good. I am not a big sugar eater. I do not have a sweet tooth per say, but this little devilish can can make me melt at the first spoonful.


I recommend that you try this by yourself first(then you do not have to share), and nobody but you will only know just how much you ate. Give it a try, I am sure you will not be sorry.


Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F (220 degrees C)


Pour one can (400 g/14 ounces of sweetened condensed milk(not evaporated milk) into a glass pie plate or any other shallow baking dish. Stir in a few flecks of sea salt. Just a pinch.






adding hot water
Set the glass bowl/ pie plate within a larger pan, such as a roasting pan, and add hot water until it reaches halfway up the side of the pie plate. 


Cover the plate snugly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours. Check a few times during baking and add more water to the roasting pan as necessary.


Once the Dulce de Leche- A la Confiture de Lait is nicely browned and caramelized, remove from the oven and let cool, whisk until smooth. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Warm gently in a warm water bath or microwave oven before using. 


This is magical stuff. You can add it to almost anything you bake. Pies, cookies would be great in my take on Donna Hays, Shortbread filled cookies in my archive. Warm it up and drizzle over your favorite ice cream, so many options. I still love it right out of the jar. Pure comfort and a extra twinkle in my eye with ever spoonful. 



1 comment:

  1. I am heading to the fridge like Nigella and taking my final scoop of the day.

    ReplyDelete