Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Nutty Nutella


pure 
heavenliness

Okay, did you also miss World Nutella Day on February 5th, 2011 ?
www.nutelladay.com
Today is a festive day as well. Happy St. Patrick's day everyone. I know, I should of  posted some sort of green fried tomatoes recipe or grasshopper pie.(Not literally) but, I do think you can be green with envy over my homemade nutella.  I am quite impressed with how this turned out. It tastes just like the store bought, and I got at least three cups for less than what one  large jar costs. Given, if you have the chocolate already.

I buy Choco Vic Spanish Ceylon Milk Chocolate with 36% Coco   
I am all about the quality of baking and cooking chocolate available  www.mumsigt.se and I have been looking forward to trying out my newest CEYLON  milk chocolate. It is never easy to say no to an interesting recipe for me. I  can admit that I am a  recipe junkie and cookbooks are like crack for me.There are a couple of points that I first should mention.

creamed almonds and hazelnuts

  1. You need to have a great food processor 
  2. Have more than you think you will need storage jars 

Okay, lets talk nuts. Hazelnuts I hear are sometimes hard to come by in some countries. Lucky here in Sweden they are quite available and not overly expensive. If you live in a country where hazelnuts are hard to find at your local store. Do try to find an Arabic or Indian,Latin  market as they will most likely have a selection available there for you.

I came across this recipe as I was researching what to do with a lot of mushrooms, (no that would be gross.) chocolate nutella mushrooms...ew.... BUT... I came across this recipe from reading many others success of making their own Nutella recipes and decided I needed to give it a try.

Adapted from the Encyclopedie du Chocolat by Frederic Bau



 40g peeled whole sweet almonds(if you can find them) other wise you will have to roast and peel them as you do with the hazelnuts.( i didn't roast my almonds)
160g hazelnuts 
400g whole milk
60g powdered whole milk or fullest fat powdered milk you can find
3 tablespoons mild flavored honey
pinch of sea salt
6 ounces 170g bittersweet or semisweet chocolate,chopped
5 ounces 140g milk chocolate chopped. Use a milk chocolate with at least 30% cacao solids works best here.

right out of the oven before I removed the shells

  1. preheat your oven to 180 d C or 350 F
  2. spread out your nuts on two separate baking pans you need to roast them separately if not using pre-peeled almonds. You need to toss them round the pan a few times to help get them completely roasted.Let them roast for about 10-12 minutes. watch them closely as they can burn.
  3. meanwhile, have your clean tea towels set out on a clean surface
  4. add your roasted nuts to your towel and wrap up tightly and rub until you can loosen as many skins as possible.It doesn't have to be perfect, but do try to get as many off as you can. Add all nuts to your mix master.
  5. Next warm your milk, milk powder, honey, salt on medium heat until it reaches a boil and remove from heat.
  6. On your highest setting on your mixer.Blitz them until you can get a fine paste like consistency. I let mine mix for at least 3-4 minutes.
  7. add the warmed milk and let sit while you melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water.
when chocolate is melted add it to the milk/nut mixture and mix until incorporated.
lovely
Do not be overly concerned if your Nutella is runny and there is a fine grind of nuts still in the mixture. You can always strain it in an ultra fine strainer, but I kind of like the small bits. Take your clean jars and pour in the lovely Nutella and let it sit covered in the fridge for at least 4 hours. I let it sit over night.

NUTELLA
Pure comfort in a jar. Eat within one week, and do enjoy the process of cooking. It is half the fun.Happy St. Patrick's day and remember  friends do not let friends drive drunk. Be safe to all who will be out chasing the pot of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment