|sweet, savory, chewy,moist and delicious|
This recipe is ever so veritable. With or without the bacon or the potato. Mix it up and make it as you desire. I add the bacon to give me a full meal and if I am serving with a large buffet meal. I keep it pretty simple and minus the potato and bacon. It is a good little lover, and it never disappoints!
3-5 medium 350 grams cooked Cherie potatoes(waxy potatoes works best here)
125 grams corn flour
140 grams 6-8 slices- bacon chopped and fried to a slight crisp
60 grams sugar
400 grams white flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 medium shallots minced
225 grams unsalted butter/salted can be used, but don't add the 1 teaspoon as marked above
440ml full fat milk
400 grams of any hard cheese good melting like cheddar.
35 grams or about 3/4 cup of chopped fresh or frozen dill
3 large eggs lightly beaten
|organically grown and local produce is always the best|
|boiled, cooled, peeled and sliced|
- Measure out your flours
- set white flour in the fridge and let cool at least one hour as you prepare the rest of the ingredients (helps to keep the bread fluffy and not so dense)
- Scrub your potatoes and leaving the skin on boil in well salted water until cooked. Strain and let cool until you can handle them. Peel all 3 and slice 2 into slices, and grate one potato and set aside
- Combine the chilled white flour, corn flour, sugar, baking powder, salt in a large bowel and set aside
Using a non-stick frying pan. Fry up your bacon and when it it is cooked to a slight crisp, but not burned. Remove and drain on a couple pieces of paper towels. When cooled. Chop into bite size pieces and set aside. *Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and add your minced shallots and fry over a low heat until well caramelized, but not burned. Add a little butter to the pan if need be to help fry the shallots.Take off the heat and add to a small bowl to cool.
|Adding the cooled butter to the milk/shallots, egg mixture|
|best to shred potatoes when completely cooled.|
|It is important to let the mixture rest for the complete 20 minutes|
|Ready for the oven|
- Add your chopped bacon to the "dry ingredients" and set aside
- melt your butter and add your cooled caramelized shallots grated potato and add the milk
- lightly beat your 3 eggs and add to the milk,shallot,grated potato and butter mixture
- In a separate large bowel add half your grated cheese, dill and using a wooden spoon add your wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.Blend until just incorporated. Be careful to not over mix and let the mixture sit undisturbed for 20 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/360 degrees F
Add the sliced potato slices in a unison manner to the top of the mixture and cover with the rest of the cheese bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
|Light, savory, comforting and oh so me....|
|Lovely, and so good.|
Cool and cut into large squares and serve slightly warm or at room temperature. use as any side dish and store any leftovers in the refrigerator. It is lovely sliced and toasted and served for breakfast for the next day.
Post a Comment